Lourdes & Surrounding Areas
This is the center-point of Lourdes, which encases the Shrine and all the major sites that pilgrims head for on their arrival. The main and closest gate is St Joseph’s Gate (50 meters from Grand Hotel Moderne), but access is also possible through the Lacets Gate, Upper Gate, Meadow Gate, St Michael’s Gate, Boissarie Gate and Forest Gate.
"In the Footsteps of Bernadette"
- is a journey for pilgrims to walk in the footsteps of Bernadette Soubirous to discover her message of faith. It covers “the Boly Mill” (birthplace of St. Bernadette), “the Cachot” (a prison cell where the Soubirous family lived in 1857-1858), the Old Presbytery, the Hospice of St. Bernadette, the Church of the Sacred Heart (where Bernadette was baptized), the Village of Bartrès, the path of Bernadette.
Le Petit Train
- The Little Train of Lourdes takes tourists in a 45 minutes ride (7.5 kilometer) tour of the Marian city. Departure every 20 minutes, every day from Easter to October, from 9 am to 11.30 am and from 1.30 pm to 6.15 pm. Late-night from 8 pm from May to end of September. Train departs from Place Monseigneur Laurence.
The Tourist Passport
“Visa for Lourdes” pass benefits from buying all the entrance tickets to the key sights of Lourdes in one go with a generous discount. Using the pass to hop-on and hop-off the “Le Petit Train” (the little tourist train) and visit:
- Little Tourist Train
- Wax Museum
- Nativity Museum
- Le Petit Lourdes
- Museum of Lourdes
- Guided audio tour of the Sanctuaries
Tickets can be purchased from the “Le Petite Train” ticket booth & hop on/off stop located just opposite the hotel, near the entrance of Saint Joseph’s gate.
Musée de Cire
- “the Wax Museum of Lourdes” features life size wax figures telling the story of St. Bernadette.
Le Petit Lourdes
- Museum featuring a miniature representation of Lourdes during the time of Bernadette Soubirous.
Museum of Lourdes
- Full story of Bernadette’s life is told. Permanent sound and light show.
Musée de la Nativité
- Illustrates the story of the birth of Jesus and his childhood in a historical setting.
Château fort de Lourdes
- A historic thousand year-old castle in Lourdes which provides an exceptional view of the city, Sanctuaries and the Pyrenees. Inside is the Pyrenean Museum with an extensive collection of the Pyrenees history under the French and Spanish.
The Pic du Jer
- Built in 1900 this charming funicular railway takes tourists to the summit at an altitude of 1000 meters. Enjoy splendid panoramic view of Lourdes and the central Pyrenees.
Parc Animalier des Pyrénées (10 km from Lourdes)
- Wildlife park is located in the heart of the Pyrenean mountain chain. Features animals of the local region including bears, wolves, chamois, marmots, lynx, roe-deer, otters, foxes, squirrels.
Donjon des Aigles (15 km from Lourdes)
- “Dungeon of Eagles” is the castle of Beaucens that houses one of the most prestigous collections of birds of prey: Kites, Vultures, Eagles, Fish Eagles, Falcons, Buzzards, and Parrots. Includes shows during the summer season.
Grottes de Bétharram (15 km from Lourdes)
- Caves full of interesting water formed limestone deposites, stalactites and stalagmites.
Day excursions from Lourdes
Our hotel can help book excursions with transfers and guides. Please contact our front desk.
Pont d’Espagne (35 km from Lourdes)
- “Bridge to Spain” and the Marcadau Valley is a large pine filled valley below the Lac du Gaube with some superb mountain views and many routes to the best Pyrenean lakes.
Pic du Midi (45 km from Lourdes)
- altitude 2,877 m (9,439 ft) is a mountain in the French Pyrenees famous for its astronomical observatory. The facility boasts Europe's highest museum, and is said to be one of the most spectacular places for a panoramic view of the Pyrenees. Includes a restaurant.
Cirque of Gavarnie (50 km from Lourdes)
- a UNESCO world heritage site with a spectacular 1,000 ft waterfall reached after a couple of hours of walking from the village of Gavarnie.
Bayonne (160 km from Lourdes)
- The cultural and economic capital of the French Basque country with a historic old town built around the river.
Biarritz (170 km from Lourdes)
- The stylish coastal town renowned for its beaches and some of Europe’s best surfing.
Other useful sites